Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The political situation and more...

So apparently there is political unrest in Thailand. I use the word "apparently" because I only know this through my daily NYTimes emails that I could receive anywhere in the world, from my mother's worried emails to me, or a comment written on this blog... seriously! Up here in Chiang Rai, I feel no difference... not yet at least. I hardly speak a word of Thai and barely understand, so it's likely this is why I don't hear much of it. Actually, I lie... our director talked to us about what was happening in Bangkok yesterday , "Bombs, airport..." was the gist, lots of smiling. I looked at him seriously, and asked verrrryyy slowly, "Is it dangerous?" He responded keeping the huge grin on his face, "Yes (high tone) dangerous in Bangkok." The smiling is the Thai way, but nothing here is ever that serious it seems. I spoke to my friend in Bangkok who seemed utterly unaffected.
I do feel like I should start looking into a Thai lesson, just so I don't feel so isolated all the time. Yesterday, I got a 2-hour Thai massage in an untouristy part of town. The masseuse tried to speak to me and taught me a few words (Thai massage and Thai lesson in one for $6, not bad). I really need to start learning. I hate never understanding anything. I've always felt that I could eventually make out what is being said to me... but this... no, Thai is a whole other ball game.
Not being able to communicate is one of the most isolating and hardest things I've gone through.
Since being here, being alone has taken a whole new meaning. There are a few foreigners in town to talk to, but I spend a lot of time writing in my journal, reading, going on long walks, or blogging ;) It's definitely an interesting test I have found myself in. I have gotten good at having conversations with myself, being introspective about life etc. Just as long as I don't go crazy... maybe this loneliness will propel me forward or be more transformative than expected. Who knows? Print this post

No comments: