Friday, November 7, 2008

Obamania in Thailand

We found out about Obama's victory on Wednesday Nov 5th. Thank God the internet worked more or less. Jen and I were glued to the internet anxiously awaiting any news. Finally my mother called at around 11AM and told me he won. I almost cried! I mean, I had a feeling he would win, but I still felt like it was a dream come true. I was in the middle of the school courtyard under the beating sun, I felt so far from it all! I was so emotional and wanted to celebrate, but I couldn't - I had to sit quiety in the teacher lounge! I kept trying to bring it up with my fellow Thai colleagues, but no one could really communicate with me. I told a class, " This is a big day today for America, we have a new president, do you know who?" and they all yelled out: "Obama!" Later on in the faculty lounge, the teachers turned the TV on and every channel was discussing the news... in Thai of course. Thais here seem to know who he is, but don't know anything about his platform or rather his family. Family is very important here "Yes, I know Obama, but I don't know his family!" We asked if they knew who Palin was and one teacher said " Beatiful!" And I said, "very stupid!" (yes I speak pigeon English to the Thai English teachers), and that got them laughing! My coordinator was the only person who expressed anything of substance - he said Thais were 50/50 on Obama, as some feel he is against free trade, which would in turn hurt Thailand. Anyway, I think my Thai colleagues were amused by my excitement about Obama's victory. We went out for some drinks in our little town to celebrate. Ah, after a long week of frustration (next entry), this definitely made my week! Print this post

No comments: