Thursday, January 29, 2009

สุขสันต์วันเกิด (Sooksunwonkerd) to me!

As most of my readers know, yesterday - or today for most of you - is/was my birthday! I turned 25 here in the depths of the Northern Thai mountains. I cannot believe I have hit the quarter century milestone. How time flies!

I am SO touched by the number of emails/facebook messages that I've gotten from friends from all walks of my life. I woke up yesterday and made pact with myself to have zero expectations on my birthday. After all, I am isolated and far from my family and my best friends. However, I couldn't have been happier and more pleasantly surprised by it. I do have some very good friends in Chiang Rai, I knew, but sometimes it becomes more clear on days like your birthday. One of my closest friends is actually in Thailand and made it up here in time for my birthday dinner. Prior to her arrival, I was having a drink with my fellow teacher friends Kirsten, Alicia, Jen, some exchange students from Mexico and Germany, and my dear friend Bertrand - the only boy :) I've also recently become closer to the French teacher here at Damrong High School, a very well educated old-fashioned Northern Thai man, who has in some ways become my surrogate father here. He interrupted my class yesterday to give me a present. Some of my students also remembered and sang Happy birthday Thai-style.

Speaking of Thai style birthdays, I wasn't really sure what this was all about myself. I ran into a fellow farang teacher friend yesterday who told me "I hope you celebrate your birthday American style and not Thai style." He then explained to me that for Thai people, birthdays don't really mean much. They go to the temple and give offerings.

I was talking to my friend Liz last night about it being my birthday and being so far away from everything on such a big day. She simply said, "You'll look back at this birthday and remember how momentous this time in your life was." So yes life is flying by, but I'm definitely living it to the fullest here. Everyday is a challenge, but with it comes a reward and I know I will be back stronger to see all you lovely people.

I would like to reiterate how absolutely touched I am from everyone's birthdays wishes, some people I would have never expected to hear from have written. I feel so warm and fuzzy inside :) I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again in not so long now. I have another month up here in Chiang Rai , in which my classes are slowly dwindling down to finals. In March I'm taking off to travel through Laos, Cambodia, and potentially Vietnam time permitting. In April, I am heading down to the islands where some good friends are meeting up.

And one more note, I have finally gotten my skype account back up and running! My username is julcarper - my father set it up, so I guess the combination of my first, middle, and last names was the first thing that came to mind. So add me and we'll skype!

Sending lots of love! Print this post

4 comments:

Benno said...

You have a middle name?

Also, happy birthday.

mikeyarmo said...

Happy Belated B-day!

I was in Chiang Rai last summer volunteering with a group called Where There Is Not A Doctor (WTINAD). It is run entirely by volunteers and a doctor who gives all his time to help the hill tribes people throughout the city.

I wanted to let you know about the organization as it was a wonderful experience and I thought you may want some information on it. You can learn more about it at www.wtinad.org or visit the facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=48407332855&ref=mf


Take care,

Michael

MIA said...

Still bummed I missed the weekend, but glad you had a blast with the girls. Let's talk soon! Can't wait to start traveling!!! x

Juliet Perrachon said...

wow thank you mike for sharing the information, i will definitely look into it as i have some free time later this month!